3D Character Artist
About The Position
NEP Virtual Studios combines Prysm Stages, Lux Machina, and Halon Entertainment under one banner to provide best-in-class virtual production services around the world. Lux Machina and Prysm stages design, build, and operate state of the art Virtual Production facilities while Halon Entertainment provides Game cinematic creation, visualization, and virtual art department services from concept to final pixel.
Halon is looking for talented and enthusiastic Character artists at Entry, Mid, and Senior levels to help bring photorealistic characters to life. A successful candidate must demonstrate a strong understanding of realistic sculptural form, anatomy, and an ability to work in a wide range of artistic styles. A high attention to detail and strong technical and artistic problem-solving abilities are equally important for the position. This is a remote-work opportunity.
VAD Character Artists in the Halon Virtual Art Department are responsible for creating, grooming, and dressing both stylized and photo-real characters. These could be built from scratch or based on templates, vendor models, photogrammetry scans, concept art, and actor reference.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the team to create and maintain stunning digital characters for use in Unreal
- Create realistic Characters and Creatures from concepts using the latest industry tools
- Sculpt, model, UV, texture and create materials for characters and creatures
- Use grooming techniques to implement hair and fur
- Create realistic clothing to implement wardrobes based of concept art/reference
- Work closely with project supervisors and leads to ensure the visual targets are met and stylistically consistent
- Creatively troubleshooting technical limitations
- Optimize and deliver clean, organized assets
- Communicate with Production to ensure all deadlines are met
- 3+ years of experience in the game or film industry as a Character Modeler
- Understanding the import/export process to Unreal engine on both Static Mesh and Skeletal Mesh level, and being able to troubleshoot problems that may arise
- Intermediate to advanced-level user of Maya, Substance, Zbrush, and Unreal
- Experience working with and implementing 3D work into Unreal Engine
- Character and prop conceptual design skills
- Strong skills creating textures and material creation within a PBR pipeline
- Strong knowledge of human anatomy, clothing tools, re-meshing techniques
- Bonus if skilled in rig creation and skinning
- Willingness to communicate clearly and effectively with a team, including giving/receiving constructive feedback and flexibility
- Eagerness to continue to learn new skills and expand knowledge
- Organizational skills to manage workload and deadlines on multiple projects
The job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individual with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
Due to the requirements of this position, NEP requires as a condition of employment for this position that a candidate be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. If a candidate is offered this position with NEP, such offer is contingent on the candidate providing proof of full vaccination status by his or her start date. Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, NEP will consider reasonable accommodations to a candidate’s inability to vaccinate due to disability or religious belief, but NEP’s consideration of potential reasonable accommodations does not guarantee commencement of employment.
We are proud of our culture. We believe in treating people with respect and supporting their artistic and professional goals. In addition to working with some of the most talented people on big budget, feature films and AAA games, being a member of NEP Virtual Studios Entertainment entitles you to participation in our Employer Sponsored Benefits: 401k Plan (with matching), Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance (with employer contributions), Group Term Life Insurance, Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Pay, and Employee Assistance Program as well as a number of Voluntary Benefits. NEP Virtual Studios also supports your continued education, training (Studio Arts classes, online training, industry partner events), and career growth opportunities.
At NEP Virtual Studios we celebrate diversity and inclusion. We are committed to an environment that does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Please let us know if you require any accommodation in your application. We believe our success as a company is built on the diversity of our teammates.