Senior Unreal FX Artist
About The Position
NEP Virtual Studios combines Prysm Stages, Lux Machina, and Halon Entertainment under one banner to provide best-in-class virtual production services around the world. Lux Machina and Prysm stages design, build, and operate state of the art Virtual Production facilities while Halon Entertainment provides Game cinematic creation, visualization, and virtual art department services from concept to final pixel.
Halon Entertainment is seeking an experienced Senior Unreal FX Artist with the skills to create spectacular real-time FX. The ideal candidate has experience working within the constraints of real-time engines, shows attention to detail, and can take both artistic and technical direction to achieve the most appropriate solution. A level of technical knowledge combined with strong creative and visual instincts is critical for this position. This is a remote-work opportunity.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work directly in engine to create and optimize stunning FX
- Collaborate with the team to create high quality effects like fire, smoke, explosions, fluid simulations, etc.
- Create libraries of Niagara particle effects
- Consider lighting and other integration techniques to the overall scene design
- Use Unreal Engine as well as proprietary tools to create FX assets.
- Assists in R&D efforts for tools enhancements and prototyping of new technology.
- Provide department and production leads with responsible estimates for FX tasks and identify any risks to the effort
- Contribute to the design and streamlining of FX tools and development processes
- 5+ years experience working with in-engine effects, preferably with Niagara
- Proficiency with 3D graphics, particle systems, physics and shaders
- Understanding of VFX asset costs and impact on performance
- Solid grasp of the principals of animation and lighting
- Good understanding of real-time physics and fluid simulations
- Optimize content through profiling and enhancing performance with the help of diagnostic tools
- Experience with Houdini a plus
- Good mathematical skills to solve mathematical problems that arise when working in-engine
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, iterative development environment
- Knowledge of virtual production integration for film and television a plus
The job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individual with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.
Due to the requirements of this position, NEP requires as a condition of employment for this position that a candidate be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. If a candidate is offered this position with NEP, such offer is contingent on the candidate providing proof of full vaccination status by his or her start date. Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, NEP will consider reasonable accommodations to a candidate’s inability to vaccinate due to disability or religious belief, but NEP’s consideration of potential reasonable accommodations does not guarantee commencement of employment.
We are proud of our culture. We believe in treating people with respect and supporting their artistic and professional goals. In addition to working with some of the most talented people on big budget, feature films and AAA games, being a member of NEP Virtual Studios Entertainment entitles you to participation in our Employer Sponsored Benefits: 401k Plan (with matching), Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance (with employer contributions), Group Term Life Insurance, Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance, Vacation and Sick Pay, and Employee Assistance Program as well as a number of Voluntary Benefits. NEP Virtual Studios also supports your continued education, training (Studio Arts classes, online training, industry partner events), and career growth opportunities.
At NEP Virtual Studios we celebrate diversity and inclusion. We are committed to an environment that does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Please let us know if you require any accommodation in your application. We believe our success as a company is built on the diversity of our teammates.